Tuesday, June 3, 2008

DAIDO MORIYAMA EXHIBITIONS

While in Tokyo, I saw two Daido Moriyama exhibitions in the Metropolitan Museum of Photography. HAWAII - showing images from his latest book, and RETROSPECTIVE, covering his work from 1965-2005. The second exhibition is very important because you can see the evolution of Daido's work. It starts like ordinary street work - but then becomes much deeper and more thoughtful. Every image is packed with amazing, mindblowing energy. I especially loved the HOKAIDO period. His very rare and impossible to find books were also on display (he has published around 90 books so far)



Here is the text from the exhibition


Thanks to Daido's agent Hisako, I met with him in the museum cafe, and was blown away. Great, positive energy, without a grain of self importance. One of the most important photographers of our time is such a normal and modest person. I spent an hour talking with him, a meeting I'll never forget. He also signed a stack of my books ....



Of course, I didn't have a digital camera on me, since I don't own one; but my friend Hiromi took some photos at the meeting with my new toy, NIKON 28Ti, I'll post soon...


9 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Goldberg said...

thats fantastic man, well played. hell of an experience im sure. id love to hear that conversation.

nice book collection too, im impressed.

June 3, 2008 at 6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah so that's what that camera is. That analogue display is amazing. Never seen anything like it.

June 3, 2008 at 6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're so lucky to meet your "hero" and got a lot of signs!!
I see "my dearest photographer boogie-san" written in japanese.

below link: you'll see daido and also his fellow photographer of "magazine PROVOKE", Takuma Nakahira, he visited the exhibition on the opening day, in his trademark "red", Boston Red Sox wear.
http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/y_wz/img
s/8/4/84d31704.jpg

June 4, 2008 at 10:52 PM  
Blogger bds said...

has you got the book 'it' ? thats the one I keep going back to recently. I hope the exhibition travels...

BDS

June 4, 2008 at 11:47 PM  
Blogger - said...

- thanks for Japanese translation!

- yep, IT book is amazing, great selection, I love it; it's edited by Hisako, Daido's agent.

June 5, 2008 at 5:31 AM  
Blogger robert said...

B- did you purchase all of the daido books in Japan ? looks pretty comprehensive- what do you think of the newish Magnum inductee jacob au sobol ? His work is pretty interesting i think and he currently resides in Tokyo making imagery.. He has a book called Sabine a personal story of his then Inuit girlfriend and local indigenous people- beautiful work all b/w. Perhaps next you will meet Nobuyoshi Araki. While your in Japan you should read the short stories of contemporary writer Banana Yoshimoto. Start with Lizard a collection of short stories ++ the way she writes is so VISUAL +peace

June 6, 2008 at 2:58 AM  
Blogger - said...

Some books I got in Japan but some I brought from nyc with me ... Araki - I'm not a big fan.

Back in nyc already, spent just one week in Japan for work

June 6, 2008 at 6:53 AM  
Blogger bds said...

have you got the new powerhouse Helen Levitt? mine turned up today, it's fantastic. beautifuly done

June 8, 2008 at 1:34 AM  
Blogger - said...

the big, green one? yep, got it, amazing

June 8, 2008 at 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home